Saturday, November 24, 2007

And with a lad on my lap, I shall relive the last week.

And what a week it's been. Amos is sitting on my lap, eating Cheerios and avioding a nap. He's probably a bit hyped up on albuterol at the minute, so napping may not be an option. I just have to let that one go!
He's been sick this week, with his dad's cold and it's been a douzy, for both of them. They are both coughing a whole lot and blowing noses a bunch. I am trying to make sure that Amos stays adequately rested, fed, medicated and steamed so that things don't get worse. I think by now, I've got the routine down and know what happens when a certain someone doesn't eat enough (he has a meltdown in the middle of the night, trying to sleep through his hunger) and how to help him sleep for long periods of time (let him sleep on top of me). So while I try to steal moments to unpack and settle in, it's mostly been helpful to have Nathan around who can move things and such while I point and give directions. Like last night, Amos, who also happens to be teething, fell asleep in my arms at 7:45 and I was forced to sit in the Poang chair while he slept on me, as sitting up and sleeping has been the best system for rest this week. I sat there for three hours, while Nathan moved all of the boxes from the living and dining rooms to their respective rooms all over the house. So little by little, things are moving forward!
Our house is really great, with only minor irritations. Ok, some of them are more major, but for the minute, we're just glad to be here and try not to complain.
For instance, our fridge is really old and like our previous kitchen, the fridge spot is very small and built for the one that's there now (I'm sure it's from 1979) even though the house was remodeled lately. Hopefully we can get a new one in there, but we may have to remodel the whole kitchen again! Yikes!
Also, none of the electric outlets in the living room work. We're not sure why and are very unhappy about that. There are other various outlets and phone jacks that don't work, too, so we'll have to get to the bottom of that.
On the upside, we've set up our bed (woohoo!), Amos' crib and room and have found the boxes labeled "Nathan and Sarah's closet." Of course, we've lived without those thing sor so long that we're not sure we need to unpack. It's also been very sweet to unpack things and remember back to when they were packed, mostly by our loving friends and family, who, in spite of their sorrow at losing us, helped us in our hour of need. *sigh*
This week, Amos has been expanding his vocabulary to "Da-da" and "ba-ba" for Daddy and bye bye. It's so awesome to watch him point to Nathan and say Da-da. Amos loves it too. He's also been bathing alot, which he loves, and has been perplexed by the many gates and latches on things as we've childproofed the heck out of the house. He is one busy fella, sick or not.
It's great to have a bigger house and I look forward to having people over. The house feels like us, so it's been good to be here. We are really thankful for being able to have such a house and have tried to enjoy it despite the minor setbacks.
Again, Praise God, from whom all blessings flow!

1 comment:

a boring sparrow said...

Sorry to hear about Amos's sickness. You are such a good mama to him!
I appreciate you sharing.
I love keeping up this way and getting to know your family a bit (at a time in my crazy life when conversations are continually interruped by the little ones.) thanks.